Importance of Medical Assessment in Occupational Safety and Health
Medical Assessments are done in the workplace to evaluate the medical and physical fitness of the employees. Such assessments are done to assess the experience of an individual for a particular job role, for example, professions that are exhausting and demand more strength, flexibility, dexterity or other physical characteristics.
A look at the facts surrounding some disasters:
- In March 2015 GermaWings plane crash event has caused 264 deaths due to pilot’s mental ill health.
- In April 2010 Deepwater Horizon drilling rig had an explosion killing 11 workers and injuring 16 others.
- Research studies have shown that out of all work-related illnesses, 30-45% have an association between mental illness and accidents at work.
The above facts clearly show that medical assessment is of utmost importance if not done as per safety standards can lead to severe catastrophes.
Real world challenges in Medical Assessment
It is very important for the regulatory authorities to get the medical assessments done in an organized and monitored framework if not may lead to disasters. The common challenges faced here are:
- Lack of consistency in adherence to regulations when processing and managing health information (such as medical assessments and history).
- Non-availability of complete information and details for responsible medical practitioner to make accurate decisions.
- The continued prevalence of manual, paper-based record-keeping in medical practice incurs
- Time and resources in processing paper-based information.
- Increased risk of medical assessment errors
- Lack of real time information of assessment status and progress
The Solution Framework embraces ‘open system’ philosophy. This simply means the solution can be integrated with any system integrators/centralized EMRs by applying latest technology innovations.
- Configurable Workflow – Customized process flows for different users
- Online Application Submission – Paperless and highly accurate data capturing
- Reports and Dashboard – Assists regulatory bodies and policymakers for process optimization
- eHealth Assessment – Systemized collection of electronically-stored health information saves time
- Monitor Medical Licensing – Dashboard-based decision support to operate safely and efficiently
- Seamless Integration – Interoperability with Labs and Radiology systems
- Highly Secure – 2F authentication protecting the sensitive healthcare data
The solution is simple to identify—move out of the paper-based environment into digital, with a secure electronic medical record (EMR) purpose-built for use in sectors driven by regulations.
- Automates and enforces consistency in health information and medical history management.
- Maintains, secures and ensures access to all relevant information required by the authorized clinician or physician
- More efficient processes and more productive clinicians/physicians and even administrators
- Faster turnaround times on medical evaluations, assessments and approvals
- Fewer errors and detailed information of health records to view and track application
- Administrative dashboard for better operational planning with lower cost, greater efficiencies, higher operational visibility and better-informed strategic planning
Are You Ready to Launch into the New Age of Regulatory Medicine? We Want to Talk!
Do you operate in a specialized industry–such as aviation, oil and gas, mining, maritime and transportation? Do you want to explore what you can do with healthcare information technology to enhance the health and safety of your employees and customers?
If so, sign up using the contact form below. Our consultants will be in touch with you promptly.
Also: Do not forget to ask how we most recently helped a civil aviation authority implement an ICAO-compliant medical system that routinely manages the entire medical assessment processes leading to the license issuance/renewals of more than 4,000 pilots and 370 air traffic controllers.